- Managing Money:
[End of Contents List]
Fountainhead Library Catalog of Print and Media ResourcesTennessee Electronic Library (TEL). All of the below, recommended databases are available on TEL via the Fountainhead Library except one. Instructions for accessing the latter are noted with it. Find TEL password here. TEL Tutor.
Expanded Academic ASAP
General Business File ASAP
General Business File International
General Science Collection
Military and Intelligence Collection
Small Business Collection
Vocation, Careers, and Technical Information Collection
Most multi-subject databases also include reference materials.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
General Reference Center Gold
News Databases (For a fuller discussion of how to find newspapers etc., see News Access.)
National Newspaper Index
Marketing: Consumer Behavior. Harvard Business School. 50+ articles from a marketing perspective.
Encyclopedia Article: Consumer Behavior
Scholarly Articles: (Use the TEL password given above.)
Citation: Ahmad, Jasmine N., Jessica M. Choplin, and Debra Pogrund Stark. "A psychological investigation of consumer vulnerability to fraud: legal and policy implications." Law and Psychology Review Annual 2011: 61+. General OneFile. Web. 16 Nov. 2011. http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA269027993&v=2.1&u=tel_a_fountainhe&it=r&p=GPS&sw=w
Citation: Heller, Rick. "Slowing down the consumer treadmill." The Humanist July-Aug. 2011: 30+. General OneFile. Web. 16 Nov. 2011. http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA260330613&v=2.1&u=tel_a_fountainhe&it=r&p=GPS&sw=w
Citation: Winnett, Caroline. "Gender and Marketing: The Female Brain." Progressive Grocer 5 Mar. 2009. General OneFile. Web. 16 Nov. 2011. http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA195031408&v=2.1&u=tel_a_fountainhe&it=r&p=GPS&sw=w
Citation: "Swarming the shelves; Psychology." The Economist [US] 11 Nov. 2006: 90US. General OneFile. Web. 16 Nov. 2011. http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA154163885&v=2.1&u=tel_a_fountainhe&it=r&p=GPS&sw=w
Practical Advice from the Web:
- "9 Money Rules to Live By." MSN Money / Personal Finance.
- "Your 5-Minute Guide to Money in Your 20s." MSN Money / Personal Finance.
- www.mymoney.gov. Many resources, vetted for safety.
- "How to Buy a Fuel-efficient Car." How Stuff Works / Auto.
- Kelley Blue Book What car is right for me? What should I pay? Auto reviews. Research tools.
Articles from Journals, Magazines, Etc.
The subject of Economics is vast. For this reason, coverage here primarily consists of a help guide for locating articles in the databases of the Tennessee Electronic Library (TEL; see above for link and database recomendations):
- Enter the term "economics" or "econom*" ("econom" followed by asterisk, to obtain results containing all the possible words: economic, economical, economics, economy, etc.);
- Type or click on the operator/function "AND"--depending on the facility you have available;
- Choose an additional term to narrow your topic to your interest (see examples below);
- Repeat 3 and 4 to further narrow down, as needed or desired; and
Limit to a reasonable time period, such as recent few years or months.
Examples of additional terms: "United States", inflation, finance, healthcare, bank*, telecommunications, "information technology", etc.
Two formed search statement examples: econom* AND eurozone ; economics AND green* AND business
- Communications Act of 1934
- Consumer Product Safety Act
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Consumer Protection
- Digital Millenium Copyright Act
- Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act
- Fair Credit Billing Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Federal Trade Commission
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Pure Food and Drug Act
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act
- Truth in Lending Act
- Internal Revenue Service Information for individuals and businesses; Publications, Forms, Fact Sheets, More. IRS(irsnews) on Twitter.
Encyclopedia Article: "Taxation in the United States" In-depth discussion of Income Tax; shorter coverage of Sales and Excise, and other types.
- Tennessee Department of Revenue. Taxes on existing businesses.