Books and Media Catalog Help
Citation and Reference Resources
College and Career Success *UPDATED*
Federal Government Publications and Sites
Fountainhead Library Media Feeds
News: Local Papers and Media, Weather Non-Local News Sources *UPDATED*
(Training on the Tennessee Electronic Library) *NEW*
Tennessee Government Sites
Using the Fountainhead Library
Using Other Libraries
Please remember that not all useful information resources are available electronically.
- Tennessee Electronic Library (TEL) provides more than 30 databases. Each database contains materials from hundreds or thousands of publications. For guidance on which databases will be of the most use to you, please see the Research Guide for your program or course. Find TEL password here. TEL Tutor (Help).
ARXIV (ar-kive) Open access to more than 700,000 e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative Biology, Quantitative Finance and Statistics
- ERIC is a database of most use to professionals and students in the field of education. It is provided by the U.S. Department of Education, and its contents are vast.
- Google Scholar is a service of Google, Inc. It indexes scholarly articles from many journals. Caveat: Not all articles (the actual text) are free to Fountainhead personnel. Fountainhead does not expect students to purchase materials for assignments.
- JSTOR (jay-store) has made available, free of charge, all materials published before 1923 (public domain). Please see a few important JSTOR search tips.
Finding books and other items consists of two steps: (a) discovering their existence in a catalog or index and (b) finding the actual item or content.
- The Fountainhead Library Catalog tells what we own in print or on media. Locate the call number in the catlog, then locate the call number (address) on the shelf. Catalog Help.
- WorldCat. OCLC, its owner, is the largest indexer/cataloger of English-language information materials in the world. Personal access to WorldCat is available to all by establishing a free account. It is possible to determine whether a title is available at nearby libraries (if they participate). Note: This is not an ebook database; contents of books are not available online.
- Book Sellers. Use of vendor websites is a way of locating the existence/availability of book and media resources whether searching by title, author/artist, or subject matter, as well of as of purchasing them. The largest ones are Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Fountainhead is not endorsing these vendors or suggesting that you necessarily purchase items.
- Project Gutenberg Classics, books and other forms of information in the public domain (free of copyright; pre-1923, later if published by the U.S. Government). No contemporary technical content.
- Internet Movie Database IMDb.
Knoxville News Sentinel: KnoxNews.org (real-time; not indexed)
Indexed access is available from August 15, 2000.
KNS archives indexed by date (Password or public authentication may be requested.)
Provides direct access when desired date is known. Only one day is searchable at a time.
How to fully search the Sentinel: Sign in to TEL; click General OneFile; click blue Publication Title button; type: news sentinel; choose "Knoxville News-Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)" * ; click search icon.
[*Help. If other spellings appear, avoid them. Hit browser back arrow and start over from the blue Publication Title button. Note: Using the gold Publication Search button produces the daily archives result instead of full search.]
"Reference information" includes such familiar things as dictionaries, encyclopedias, and thesauruses. It also includes: almanacs, atlases, bibliographies, concordances, handbooks, manuals, quotation collections, travel guides, who's whos, yearbooks, and numerous other sources of quick facts and basic information.
The government publishes vast amounts of information in a variety of formats and types. Some frequently used online resources are:
- Amercian history resources (Library of Congress pages)
- FAFSA student aid
- Health information:
- Indexes/catalogs to published materials (Library of Congress);
- Laws (e.g., the Code of Federal Regulations) and Congressional Bills and Acts in Thomas;
- Reports, such as about situations in other countries (State Department);
- Statistical data, such as from the Census (American Fact Finder) (Statistical Abstract) and the Departments of Education, Energy, and Labor (Bureau of Labor Statistics);
- Taxes: Internal Revenue Service Information for individuals and businesses; Publications, Forms, Fact Sheets, More. IRS(irsnews) on Twitter.
Also see the Library's Resource Guide for your Program or Course. Many of these contain specialized government links.
The central link to state government is: http://tn.gov.
- Health, Department of
- Revenue, Department of: Business Taxes.Driver's License Services.Vehicle Title and Registration.
- State Student Aid
- Tennessee Code (State Laws) Legislative Bill Search.
- Rules and Regulations, including recent ones.
Video resources can be found (or soon will be) on many pages in this site, particulary the Course Resources pages. This space is reserved for access to the front pages of major resources.
Tennessee's Board of Regents community colleges (e.g., Pellissippi State and Roane State in this area) offer free library cards to area residents aged 18 and older. (One must go in person with identification and proof of address.) These libraries also permit free access to article databases from a computer inside the library, with a temporary password.
The University of Tennessee Libraries offers guest "subscription" library cards for $100 per year. UT's Preston Medical Library offers a generous variety of services for a subscription fee of $100 per year.
Maryville College is a private institution; however, it also offers certain guest services. Guest library cards cost $50 per year.
Check library websites for open hours, additional guest/visitor privileges, etc. and to search for book availability via their online catalog.
Academic Libraries: Maryville College Library | UT Libraries | Pellissippi State Technical C.C. Libraries (Visitor Services) | Roane State C.C. Libraries
Medical Libraries: Preston (UT) Medical Library (Subscriber Services) | National Library of Medicine
Public Libraries: Blount County Library | Knox County Libraries | Oak Ridge Library | Internet Public Library
State Library: Tennessee State Library and Archives
Special Libraries: ORNL Library (requires password)
National Libraries: Library of Congress | National Archives | National Library of Medicine
Suggestions for the content of this page are welcome.